Thursday 7 August 2014

Secret Cinema presents....Back To The Future

Sometimes, living in London can get slightly overwhelming. I mean, there's so much to do. All the time. So many options, every day of the week. But every now and then, something happens that everyone wants to get in on. My first experience of this was Secret Cinema presents Back To The Future.


After trying to get tickets for a couple of days, I succeeded and waited with baited breath as the emails came through to advise me on what to wear, who my character was, where I needed to get to and so on. I knew someone going to the opening night and couldn't wait to hear all about it, debating on how much I wanted to know. I saw her and she told me......it was cancelled. Along with the next night, and the next, and the next and the next. This meant the unofficial opening night was the night I had tickets for. I was just hoping it wasn't going to go down the same route as it's predecessors.

I wasn't disappointed. I got dolled up in the requested 50's attire with my cousin and we made our way to Hackney Wick where we were told the site was a short walk away near the Olympic Village.


(Hair scarf - Tie Rack, Glasses - Gok Wan, Polo Shirt - Fred Perry, Skirt - Vintage find in Oslo, Bag - Vivienne Westwood, Shoes - Vivienne Westwood)

I knew we were on to something special the moment we entered the barn and could pet the farm animals. A short walk led us to Hill Valley, complete with houses, cars, barbershops, diners, a fairground, the school, the clock-tower, dive bars, vintage shops and more. We were given around 3 hours to explore which is the perfect amount of time to really get involved with everything. In fact, the set was so good, we almost forgot we were there to watch a film. Although, that might have been helped by the bourbon cocktails, gin sweets and 3 bottles of wine consumed.



The stand out part for me though, hands down, was the Enchantment Under the Sea dance. To walk in to a 50's American prom was just fantastically surreal.

So, after a few teething problems, and the worry it might not happen at all, I can safely say that Secret Cinema presents Back To The Future was one of the best things I've ever been to. If there's any way you can get your hands on a ticket, do it. You won't be disappointed. Secret Cinema, well done, you surpassed yourselves. Bring on the next one!





(Due to there being a ban on phones and cameras, which was excellent, the above images are taken from The Guardian)




No comments:

Post a Comment