Sunday 18 January 2015

GUY BOURDIN: IMAGE MAKER










Had a perfect London afternoon yesterday and was treated by the beautiful Rachel to spend a couple of hours at the Guy Bourdin exhibition at Somerset House.

Guy Bourdin: Image Maker is a collection of over 100 photographs spanning a photography career of over 40 years. Included was the "Walking Legs" series which is a campaign commissioned by Charles Jourdan that has never been shown in it's entirety. Accompanying the series was an unseen fashion film of his road-trip around the UK in 1979.

The exhibition was amazing and I'm always drawn to people's work that is the total opposite of what I do. All photography work I have ever done is black and white and usually quite natural shots. I loved the use of colour throughout Bourdin's work and the whole staged and theatrical feel of it all. It's the same reason I love the work of David LaChapelle and Tim Walker.

Throughout the exhibition, there were a few films being shown including a room with 4 screens set up to make you feel truly immersed in the footage. Paintings and rough sketches were also included throughout and anyone who knows me will appreciate how excited I got at the polaroid series (I did a project of my own in uni called "The Polaroid Project").

We also popped in to "Chris Stein/Negative: Me, Blondie, and The Advent of Punk" which was incredible. There were some amazing photographs with some excellent stories and explanations attached but going on a Saturday lunchtime probably wasn't the best time for this one. I wanted to read everything but being so busy, I felt like I was constantly in the way. I will definitely be heading back for this one but may think a bit more carefully about what time I head down.

As always, a outfit snap was a must. Especially when you have THE BEST BACKGROUND EVER!


(Leather Jacket - Schott, Duster Coat - Urban Outfitters, T-Shirt - an old The Cure one I bought when I saw them in 2004, Jeans - Topshop, Boots - Office, Bag - Topshop)

Guy Bourdin: Image Maker is on until 15th March 2015 - entrance fee £9.00
Chris Stein/Negative: Me, Blondie, and The Advent of Punk is on until 25th January 2015 - free

1 comment:

  1. I made a new years goal to go to more museum, and this one looks SO good!! I need to get down to London soon.

    chloex

    ReplyDelete